FarmHedge mobile app compatibility review – July 2018
The smartphones listed in the “Compatible models” lists can guarantee minimum functionality of FarmHedge app.We did not find any compatibility issues with Apple phones or recent versions of Android. Section “Known issues” lists all the incompatible smartphones found so far.
An extensive compatibility test was carried out on AWS Device Farm. Tests on Android were focussed on finding issues with older versions of the operating system. The selection of smartphone models was based on a combination of a pool suggested by AWS Device Farm, the most popular phones in European countries (source: DeviceAtlas) and the most popular brands and phones on Phone Arena.
Tests consisted in: app launch, login and user registration. Tests were executed on July 10, 2018.
Compatible models – Apple
The following list shows the model were tested successfully on Apple’s smartphones based on iOS operating system. iOS phones were tested using various version of the supported operating system, from iOS 9.3 to 11.2.
- ✅ iPhone SE
- ✅ iPhone 4S
- ✅ iPhone 5 / 5S
- ✅ iPhone 6 / 6S
- ✅ iPhone 7 / 7 Plus
- ✅ iPhone 8 / 8 Plus
- ✅ iPhone X
Compatible models – Android
Android phones were tested using multiple Android version, ranging from Android 4.1 to the latest 8.1.
- ✅ Samsung S3, S4, S4 mini, S5, S6 Edge, S7, S8 Edge, S9.
- ✅ Samsung Note series, Trend Plus, A3, A4
- ✅ LG G2, G3, G4, G5, V10, V20
- ✅ Motorola Moto G / Moto X, Droid Razr / Turbo
- ✅ HTC One, M8
- ✅ Google & Asus Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7
- ✅ Sony Experia Z1, Z2, Z3
- ✅ Huawei P6, P8 Lite, Mate 10
The following models had major issues with FarmHedge mobile app. We are aware our mobile app is not compatible with legacy version of Android 4.1.X and, partly, Android 4.2.X.
- 🚫 Samsung S2 mini (released in 2012). These models were not available on testing platform but we know from customer reports that FarmHedge app is not compatible with them.
- 🚫 Samsung S3 mini (Android 4.1.2, phone model release in 2012) – White screen on startup, old version of Google Play Services.
- 🚫 LG G Flex (Android 4.2.2, released in 2013) – White screen on startup.
- 🚫 LG G3 (Android 5.0.1, released in 2014) – App crashed during tests.
In general, model of phones release 2012 or 2013 on legacy versions of Android (<4.4) and that are not in the list “Compatible models” above might have issues with running FarmHedge.
This page shows the result on a one-off compatibility test, but we are currently working on integrating a device cloud (such as AWS Device Farm, Xamarin or Firebase Test Lab) with basic UI tests to have a the app continuously checked on multiple devices. This will allow us to automatically check test the latest version of our apps on multiple devices. More details on this to come.
For an overview of FarmHedge please see this post: FarmHedge products overview. If you want to know more about how the features described above actually work, get a look to the FarmHedge technical overview here.
The FarmHedge team.